Find Help

The Cleveland Street Chronicle
Jim Schlecht Event
Grapevine Archive


Cleveland Street Chronicle

The Cleveland Street Chronicle is published monthly and contains articles addressing issues of homelessness and poverty in the community. It was previously published for 16 years under the name Homeless Grapevine. The Street Newspaper in Cleveland was one of the first ten in the United States. The Cleveland Street Chronicle continues to provide a much-needed voice for Cleveland's homeless community. Homeless vendors purchase the papers for 35 cents; then sell them for ($1.25) one dollar and twenty five cents. The profits they receive from selling the paper are their profits. 

Homeless Grapevine (our previous Street Newspaper) received Honorable Mention by the Knight-Batten Award Committee, which recognizes technological innovations in journalism.

Where Can I Buy The Street Chronicle?

A vendor can almost always be found at The West Side Market.  They are also seen frequently on Euclid Ave, Public Square, E. 9th St., East 12th, or Coventry.  If you do not live near these areas or if you do not have a Street Chronicle Vendor in your area, you can receive a years subscription for $12.00. Send a check or money order to: 

The Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless
3631 Perkins Ave 3A-3
Cleveland, OH 44114

How Do I Become A Street Chronicle Vendor?  

If you are interested in selling the Chronicle here are the steps you need to take. If you have any questions about these steps call William at our office at 216.432.0540

  1. Call our office at 216.432.0540 to give us your name and any contact information that you may have (contact information is not a requirement, but is helpful to us if you do have it).
  2. We will inform you of the next available training session.  All Chronicle members must go through a training session. You can stop by our office for training on 3631 Perkins Ave. 3A-3. on  Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. at the NEOCH offices to get trained, or call Ken to schedule a time.
  3. Once you have attended the vendor’s training you will receive a Temporary Vendor’s Badge and may begin selling papers. Once you have sold 200 papers you may obtain a Permanent Vendor’s Badge.
  4. As a Street Chronicle Vendor, there is a code of conduct that you will be required to follow. This code will be covered during your training, but we have also posted it online for your convenience. Click here to read the Chronicle Vendor Contract.

Current Volunteer opportunities with the Street Chronicle:

  • We are looking for volunteers to aid in the production of Cleveland’s street paper, The Street Chronicle. Promote social justice by helping with layout, writing stories, conducting interviews, archiving and possibly other editorial duties.

Call NEOCH at 216-432-0543 to become involved.

Archive of the Homeless Grapevine and Street Chronicle:

How Can I Support the Street Newspaper in Cleveland?

  • You can send a donation to NEOCH with a note in the memo section of your check that indicates support for the Street Chronicle.
  • You can click on the "Donate Now" button on the side and send an electronic donation.  Make sure that you mark "Street Chronicle" in the purpose section.
  • If you live in a suburban city, you can ask that they exempt the Chronicle from any street vending fee.   Because of a bad US Appeals Court decision from 2000, cities are allowed to charge a fee so that a homeless person can sell the paper on the public streets.  Yes, commerce has trumped the distribution of a person's speech on the streets of Ohio. 

Who are the Vendors?

Anyone can become a vendor.  You do not have to be homeless to vend the paper.  We try to recruit panhandlers and those living in the shelters, but anyone can sell the paper.  Here is a gallery of the vendors who sell the street newspaper.

Call NEOCH at 216-432-0543 to become involved.